About This Forum: West End Community Vision - Planning Process, Themes
These themes and priorities were developed by the West End community based on feedback from community conversations, surveys, and community meetings. Work Teams will come up with strategies for each theme in early 2016.
▪ Business association (as a voice for small business issues) ▪ Opportunities for Black-owned businesses ▪ Service/consumer businesses (laundry, coffee shop, etc.) ▪ Better networking between the agencies in the community ▪ Safety focus throughout
▪ Garbage collection ▪ Education about recycling ▪ Community clean ups ▪ Beautification and care of empty lots ▪ Promotion of a green neighborhood
▪ Finding how to get the word out (communication) ▪ Collaboration between the different community groups to solve problems together ▪ Finding the common link within a diverse community ▪ Active engagement of neighborhood ▪ Finding what incentives work to bring people together
▪ Removing barriers for formerly incarcerated ▪ Getting the information out (speak out) ▪ Job training and job preparation (including second chance job prep) ▪ Identifying local businesses to hire people with felonies ▪ Summer jobs for youth
▪ Less guns on the street ▪ Less hanging around the stores ▪ Vacant building maintenance or renovation ▪ Less crimes/clean and safe environment now ▪ Develop community/police relations ▪ Education and mentorship for our youth
Youth and Education
▪ Parent involvement ▪ Sex education ▪ Start young ▪ Communication and accountability ▪ Networking between programs
About This Forum: West End Community Vision - Theme: Housing
Goal #11: The West End builds upon its rich history and is recognized as a great community in which to live, work, and play. Goal #12: The condition of all West End properties is improved. Goal #13: The quality of affordable units in the West End is upgraded. Goal #14: The West End supports the expansion of home ownership in the neighborhood.